May 20, 2019
Moving Checklist: The Essentials
Congratulations on your new home! Moving from one home to another can be a lengthy and exhausting process, and oftentimes, some basic necessities can be overlooked. To make the move as smooth as possible, here are the essential tasks to check off your moving list:
- Transfer utilities before closing on your new home. If you do this before you close escrow, you will have plenty of time to ensure you have water, heat and electric when you get to your new home.
- Test your appliances. This includes confirming your refrigerator gets cold, trying the stovetop, running the dishwasher empty to check for leaks and testing the heat in the oven.
- Bring basic cleaning supplies. You may not be able to confirm the last time your new home was deep cleaned, so bringing cleaning supplies for the kitchen and bathrooms will be essential to make sure those spaces are clean in your first few days living there.
- Take measurements of each room. This will be extremely helpful in planning where your furniture will go and will aid in organizing what boxes and what pieces of furniture go where.
- Change the locks from the previous owner. This is the fool-proof way to ensure your safety in your new home, as there is no guarantee who may have had a copy of the previous owner’s key.
- Stock your kitchen with easy meals for your first few days. This can be anything including frozen pizza, instant coffee, granola bars, water bottles; anything that can be prepared easily amongst the first few hectic days of moving.
- Keep household essentials handy. For this tip, think of anything you would pack in an overnight bag (medication, phone chargers, toiletries) and keep them in an easily accessible space.
Now that you’re in your new home, it’s time to get settled. Using professional moving tips and tricks allow you to enjoy your new home and minimize the stresses of moving. After moving, having a conversation with your real estate agent, who is an expert on the neighborhood, and will make help make your new place feel like home.